Know the love and charity legacy of the Good Angel of Bahia
Inaugurated in 1993, one year after the death of the Bahian nun, Sister Dulce Memorial (Memorial Irmã Dulce – MID) is a permanent exhibition on the love and charity legacy of the Good Angel of Bahia, gathering more than 800 pieces that help preserve and keep alive the ideals of the religious. Her habit, photographs, documents, and personal belongings can be seen at the MID, which still preserves Sister Dulce’s room intact, where we can see the chair where she slept for almost thirty years by virtue of a promise. Other striking facts of her life are remembered through mock-ups, books, diplomas and medals.
The tip is that, in addition to the Memorial, you extend the visit to the entire religious-tourist complex dedicated to Sister Dulce. It also includes the Sanctuary of the Blessed Virgin (where her tomb is located and is a space of great visitation), the Café and the store, which has a wide range of products, from shirts, purses, calendars, books and keychains, to images, medals, rosaries and scapulars, among dozens of other items with Sister Dulce social brand. All the income obtained with the commercialization of the pieces is reverted for the maintenance of Sister Dulce Social Works activities.
Next to the Memorial, in Largo de Roma, there is the Dulce Café, a space that joins gastronomy and culture, and has an eclectic menu set up in partnership with selected suppliers of items such as pies, sweets, salads, coffees, and the famous Sister Dulce Panettone. All income obtained from the sale of these items is directed to the Santo Antônio Educational Center (CESA), the Sister Dulce Institution education center, which assists about 780 children and adolescents in social risk situations.
Sister Dulce Sanctuary
The Sanctuary of the Blessed Virgin of the Poor, also known as the Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Mother of God, has been in operation since 2003 and has been built thanks to the help of believers and donations. The sanctuary is located in Salvador, next to the Sister Dulce Social Works (Obras Sociais Irmã Dulce – OSID) headquarters in Largo de Roma.
The church began to be erected in 2002, from the Brick Campaign, in the same place where, in the 40’s of the twentieth century, Sister Dulce had built the Círculo Operário da Bahia and Cine Roma. Today, it has seating capacity for more than 1,000 people.
It is there in the Sanctuary that the relics (term used to designate the body or part of the body of the blessed or saints) of the Good Angel of Bahia are deposited in a space called the Relics Chapel. This is a circular room with a triple ceiling height, and in the center there is the tomb that holds the remains of the Mother of the Poor.
A place of devotion and faith, the Relics Chapel was opened on June 9, 2010, when the body of the then Venerable Dulce was transferred from the Santo Antônio Chapel (located at the Sister Dulce Memorial) to its new address. The transfer was made after the nun’s body exhumation, followed by a vigil.
Open to visitors from Tuesday to Sunday, from 10am to 5pm.
Phone #: (71) 3310-1115 / 0800-284-5284
Open to daily visitors from 7:00 am to 6:00 pm.
Masses: from Sunday to Friday, in two hours, at 8:30 am and 4:00 pm. Saturdays, at 4:00 pm. Every 13th of each month, Sister Dulce’s Mass at 9:00 am.
Phone #: (71) 3310-1394
We’ve prepared a list of perfect songs for this experience. Listen now!
Irmã Dulce. Salvador Bahia. Foto acervo do memorial .